Pages

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

2 people making 1 forever



You know marriage is a crazy thing. Mark and I have been married for a little over a year now. We have by no means mastered marriage or anything but I have learned quite a few things in the past year.
We went through some difficult and trying experiences before we got married. Our dating relationship was no where near perfect or story book and neither is our marriage. There have been so many days where I look at other couples and wish we were more like them, more playful, carefree, happy? In the beginning of our marriage I felt like we were forcing conversations a lot. Why didn't it come naturally anymore? But what I have come to realize is that we are all those things, just not all the time. And neither are those couples that I long to be more like. Individually and in relationships we compare our worst to other peoples best. It has usually been on a bad day or a day when either one of us are grumpy or stressed that I look at the other couple laughing together, out on a simple date to the cocoa bean or something. There's no way they are like that every day, and we aren't grumpy everyday.
No relationship is perfect all the time. So I shouldn't be so hard on us. Because I have been more happy this past year than I can remember my whole life. And those forced convos have seemed to disappear. Maybe it's because we aren't together 24-7 anymore, we work at different places and don't see each other until 9:00 at night, or maybe it's because we have learned to become a team and learned each other's love languages. Whatever it is, it's perfect. Because it's us. I don't feel like we are trying to be another couple. How could we, I mean I don't know anyone as goofy as Mark.
I'm grateful to be at this place we are at in our marriage. I'm so grateful for Mark and all he is. It's those small moments while watching Who's Line, playing uno in bed every night, and learning how to make each other happy that make everything worth it.
Not every day is perfect. I'm not a perfect wife and he's not a perfect husband. But we are trying, and more importantly we are trying to make each other happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment